Reading from minibuffer with default value when return pressed

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Reading from minibuffer with default value when return pressed
Date: 22 Apr 2007 11:01:34 -0700

Hey there, Emacs-Hackers!

I am trying enhance my grep wrapper with the common logic that propose
a default argument like, preferrably using
(thing-at-point 'symbol)

Grep for string (some-default-string):

and that uses this some-default-string I have only press return.

I thought the following should work but it doesn't
(read-from-minibuffer "Grep for string: " nil nil nil nil "default"
nil)

Do I need an alternative to read-from-minibuffer() or have I missed
something=

Many thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw