Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: 30ish emacs user
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 06:41:52 +0000 (UTC)

Eli Zaretskii <eliz <at> gnu.org> writes:

> ??? What's not graphical about Emacs?  Are you familiar with Speedbar,
> Customize, and gdb-ui, to name just a few very graphical features?
> Modern Emacs has menus, scroll bars, tool-bar buttons, tooltips
> (a.k.a. balloon help), and all the other attributes of a GUI program.

I meant the API is mostly character based. I can insert images of
course, but I cannot draw random pixel lines across the buffer right?
There is no complete pixel-level control of buffer presentation. I
cannot toggle single pixels on the screen, if I'm not mistaken.

I haven't seen code collapsing displayed like this in emacs:

   http://www.dream-com.com/images/editor/codecollapse.bmp

It can probably be emulated with images of course to an extent, but
it's not the same as simply drawing a vertical pixel line.

That's what I mean by a "graphical" editor.

Nevertheless, I use emacs. :)