Emacs and C++ codesense

From: address@hidden
Subject: Emacs and C++ codesense
Date: 25 Apr 2007 07:56:38 -0700

I'm looking for solutions for working with C++ code in Emacs.

I'd like the following:

- Jumping to the definition of the symbol I'm standing on when I press
a key. I know tags is useful for that, but they don''t seem to work
properly in every case, only in most of the cases and I'd like a
proper solution.

- Show the documentation of the current symbol in a tooltip when
pressing a key. The tooltip is not a big deal. I can do it if I can
get the documentation somehow.

- Inteligent completion of the current symbol when I press a key.

I don't want ECB, because I don't want separate windows within the
frame showing information. I like to work in a single frame and get
information only if I press a key explicitly.

I suspect semantic can do some or all of the above. Is it true? Is
there a solution out of the box which works like described above or I
have to learn how the semantic api works and implement my own
solution? How good is semantic's C++ parsing/support?

Are there other alternatives?

xref seems nice, but I'd like to evaluate free software first.

I'm also checking out kdevelop which I hear has good support for C++,
but I really don't want to leave emacs (iswitchb!) if I can find a
satisfactory solution.

Thanks.