Re: build-and-load-etags

From: David L
Subject: Re: build-and-load-etags
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:06:27 -0700

> From: "David L" <idht4n@hotmail.com>
> Bcc:
> Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:39:14 -0700
>
> (defun build-etags ()
>   (interactive)
>   (compile "make etags")
     ^^^^^^^
This is your problem: `compile' runs the command asynchronously, which
is not what you want.  Use `shell-command' or some such, and Emacs will
wait.

Thanks for the quick response!  Is there a way to get compile to run
syncrhonously?  Or alternatively to get the "next-error" functionality
when using shell-command?  The generation of my etags from my makefile
uses gcc to generate dependencies that are used as inputs to etags. I'd like to be able to use the "next-error" function when building etags in case I have a typo in a #include or something. So the function will either build and load
the etags or bring me to the line with the error that prevented a complete
dependency list from being generated.

Thanks again...

         David

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today. http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline