Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:08:20 +1000

Klaus Straubinger <KSNetz@UseNet.ArcorNews.DE> writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>
> [startup settings in X resources]
>> I think its easier, clearer and faster than writing bits of elisp to
>> set the default frame, the initial frame and then turn off toolbar
>> etc.
>
> I don't find it easier to maintain settings in two different places,
> with totally different syntaxes, where one of them is operating-system
> dependent. And why is that clearer?
>
> Emacs settings should be in the Emacs initialization file, in my
> opinion.

Fine and your welcome to disagree. I just fine five or so lines of the form

Emacs.geometry: 80x55
Emacs.toolbar: 0
etc

simpler than having to have

(setq initial-frame-alist '((top . 1)
                            (left . 1)
                            (width . 80)
                            (height . 55)))
(setq default-frame-alist '((top . 1)
                            (left . 1)
                            (width . 80)
                            (height . 55)))

plus you still get the resize flicker etc, which you don't get if you put
things in xresources. Of course, everyones milage differs. I don't work on
multiple platforms, so having all my X stuff in xresources is both convenient
and consistent for me. If I also ran on Windows, maybe I'd do it differently
(though I expect you wold need different settings anyway).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au