VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

From: mans
Subject: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 19:03:10 GMT

Hello,

     I am new in VHDL and Emacs and I tried to use Emacs for editing VHDL
and attaching it to ISE. My experience is as follow:

Overall:

Emacs has a very good editor for VHDL editing. It has several good features
such as auto indentation and syntax highlighting. Over all it is very good
if you can use it (I could not!)

What I did:

I download my copy of Emacs from
http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html . I installed it in my
windows XP professional system and setup ISE to use it. It works well with
ISE.

Problems that I had:

1-      Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure
wmacsw32 without any success.

2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

3-      I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I can not
turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

4-      I can not find any documentation on facilities which are available
in VHDL mode.

5-      Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item
disappears!

Best regards

Ps: Does Eclipse support VHDL?