Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 02:30:38 +0200

mans wrote:

Problems that I had:

Thanks for telling us about the problems so we may try to get them fixed.

1- Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried to configure wmacsw32 without any success.

Can you please tell me what you did and how it failed? There is a quick setup for those things if you use the menus:

   Options - Customize EmacsW32 ...

2-      It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

You should use EmacsClient and only start Emacs once.

Making it easy to get started using EmacsClient is one of the main things the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 is trying to help you with. Several shortcuts gets installed that lets you start Emacs through EmacsClient. There is one in the start menu and you get one in the SendTo menu. If you prefer working from the command line there is a command line script called e.cmd for this.

If you use the patched version then Emacs server gets started automatically through those shortcuts and or the command line scripts. (For the unpatched version you have to start Emacs server yourself, please read the Emacs manual.)

5- Some times when I try to click on VHDL menu, this menu item disappears!

 Can you please describe this more? Exactly when does this happen?