Re: How to compare strings?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: How to compare strings?
Date: 29 Apr 2007 20:39:57 GMT

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
>> Does Emacs have a concept of sort order depending on language?  If
>> not, why not?
>
> Because characters that have different order depending on the language
> have different codepoints inside Emacs, and thus the issue doesn't
> exist.
>
> Or am I missing something?

Well, in German dictionaries you will generally find words with ö
interspersed with those with o, but within the letter O, o>ö. So both "Ode"
and "öde" appear under O, but the former before the latter. Both, however,
appear before "oder".

Yet, other languages that use ö may well alphabetise it as a completely
separate letter. IIRC this is done for example in Hungarian dictionaries,
where O and Ö are different sections of the dictionary, Ö following after
O. In Icelandic I think (may well be wrong, though), that it is customary
to sort words with Ö at the end, that is, even *after* Z.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)