Re: How old are Emacs users?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: How old are Emacs users?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 02:17:38 +0300

Robert Thorpe <rthorpe@realworldtech.com> writes:
> I'm 28, I've used Emacs for ~8 years.  The age distribution seems to
> be interestingly even, many people from almost every decade of adult
> life.

I'm 31, and I have been using Emacs on and off for about 12 years.

At first, I was using /usr/bin/vi of SunOS, but after I managed to
install Linux on my i486 PC at home, Emacs was and still is my favorite.

> I would have thought that there would be two sets of people: Young
> people who discovered Emacs via the web and Linux/GNU recently and a
> older generation that discovered it installed on *nix machines at
> their work or university.  But it seems not, if the thread is
> representative then a steady stream of people have been introduced to
> it for a long time.

Heh!

At least part of this steady stream of new Emacs fans is bound to be a
result of the extensive evangelising some of us keep going.

Many of my friends and colleagues know me as "the guy who can turn any
flamewar, err, I mean `conversation', to a discussion of the cool
features of some Emacs part", and it may please you to know that at
least _some_ of this effort to educate people about Emacs appears to
work :-)

- Giorgos