Using EMMS on Debian Testing

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Using EMMS on Debian Testing
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 14:53:33 -0400

Hi, all...

So since I do pretty much all of my computer tasks in Emacs
(except for the occasional foray into xterm/gnu screen land
and/or browsing the occasional poorly-designed website in
Iceweasel), I am a big fan of EMMS. My secondary (non-Emacs)
OS is Debian Testing (Lenny). However, the version in the
Debian repositories is quite out of date (without importing
code from later versions, it can't even do things like
delete files from the cache), since I believe it's
officially been orphaned. So I did a darcs checkout of the
updated source for EMMS from the official website. But here,
too, I run into problems:  for reasons unknown (to me),
neither emms-info-libtag nor emms-info-ogginfo seem to work
when I play new files for the first time (and yes, I did
make sure that they had the proper tags). So this leaves me
using the old version since I really don't want to go in and
try to edit the cache file myself. Does anybody have any
idea what's going on here? I'd really like to use the
up-to-date version, but really don't want all of my albums
lumped under "misc" in the browser.

Any help is much appreciated.

Amy