Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 10:26:09 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 21:49:22 +0200
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
CC:  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

In particular, a .emacs that starts the server will do the wrong thing
with Lennart's binaries.  And .emacs that does not start the server
will give you a server on Windows if you use Lennart's binaries, but
on other systems the server will not start.

I do not think that it necessarily does that. The automatic server startup does

   (server-mode 1)

That is not what the Emacs manual says one should do.  Here's the
relevant excerpt:

       First, the preparations.  Within Emacs, call the function
    `server-start'.  (Your `.emacs' init file can do this automatically if
    you add the expression `(server-start)' to it, see *Note Init File::.)

So it says to add `(server-start)', not `(server-start 1)'.

It looks to me like server-mode was added afterwards to make things more convenient. Maybe the manaul should be updated to reflect that?