Re: Is there any good website for emacs newbie?

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Is there any good website for emacs newbie?
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 09:31:19 +0300

> I am a emacs newbie but I like it.

Congratulations.  You've stumbled on the single most universally
useful program ever written!  The learning curve can be steep at first
(all those keystrokes!!!) but trust me you will never look back once
you begin to make it work for you.

Emacs' own Info manual is indispensible, and it is never far away once
you master *Info* (type C-h i m emacs RET and you are there).

The various help keystrokes (especially C-h m for describe-mode and
C-h v for describe-variable) are also very useful.

My advice would be to become very comfortable with *Info* mode and
'bookmarks' so you never need to forget where you read something
again.

 C-x r m <name> RET  to create a bookmark,
 C-x r b <name> RET  to go to a bookmark,
 C-x r l             to list your bookmarks

Good luck, and don't give up.  It seems like deep magic but it's
actually so simple it hurts.

Sebastian