Re: Another 'best' practices question ??

From: Sebastian Tennant
Subject: Re: Another 'best' practices question ??
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 21:46:58 +0300

Quoth Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com>:

> Tom> Oops.  That is fixed in the next release (I'll push it soon).
>
> Haha, I found what happened -- I released package.el 0.3 a while ago,
> but I neglected to upload it to ELPA.  How ironic!
Don't let an oversight, however ironic, discourage you ;-)

> I've uploaded 0.3 now.  The reported bug is fixed there.
>
> I haven't yet made it simple to upgrade package.el using itself.  I'm
> considering adding that in a future version.  Meanwhile you'll have to
> download package.el by hand and install it over the old copy.  The
> direct link is:
>
>     http://tromey.com/elpa/package.el
>
> ... but if you haven't yet installed package.el you probably should
> just use the auto-installer.

Now all is well. Updated the list, and installed (and played a game
of) sudoku without any problems.  I haven't tried downloading games
from the net or anything like that yet.

Nice one geezer.  (Yes, I'm from London).

I've no idea if this is of any interest to you but there were a couple
of warnings during compilation:

  In get-board-wget:
  sudoku.el:1258:18:Warning: reference to free variable `sudoku-wget-process'

  In get-board-w3:
  sudoku.el:1281:7:Warning: url-retrieve called with 1 argument, but requires
2-3

Regarding ELPA, a couple of suggestions if I may be so bold:

 1.  How about 'installed' rather than <blank> in the status column.

 2.  A hint as to how to run the newly installed package (not in the
     description because there isn't room, but somewhere).  For
     instance, having installed sudoku in a snip, I then had to
     navigate to the source file and read the commentary to find out
     that I had to eval (require 'sudoku') before I was good to go.

 3.  'g' in the Package buffer is described as 'revert'.  Is this not
      better described as 'refresh'?

Sebastian