Re: Another 'best' practices question ??

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Another 'best' practices question ??
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 12:41:25 -0600

>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> writes:

Sebastian>   In get-board-wget:
Sebastian>   sudoku.el:1258:18:Warning: reference to free variable
`sudoku-wget-process'

Sebastian>   In get-board-w3:
Sebastian>   sudoku.el:1281:7:Warning: url-retrieve called with 1 argument, but
requires 2-3

These both look like buglets in sudoku.el -- the first due to how it
defines sudoku-wget-process and the second just some sort of oversight
(or perhaps reliance on some old version of url, I didn't look).

Sebastian> Regarding ELPA, a couple of suggestions if I may be so bold:
Sebastian>  1.  How about 'installed' rather than <blank> in the status column.

I made a note.

I chose blank because it looks sort of busy with "installed".  But I
don't really know what is best -- "installed" is clearer.

Sebastian>  2.  A hint as to how to run the newly installed package (not in the
Sebastian>      description because there isn't room, but somewhere).  For
Sebastian>      instance, having installed sudoku in a snip, I then had to
Sebastian>      navigate to the source file and read the commentary to find out
Sebastian>      that I had to eval (require 'sudoku') before I was good to go.

Yeah, this is a problem.  I don't really know what to do about it.

For most packages, package.el will extract ";;;###autoload" comments
and make those available at package-activation time.

But I see I didn't add these to sudoku.el :(.

If you try the bubbles game you can see it in action a bit more
clearly: it will download, install, and activate the game, and then
you can just do M-x bubbles.

Sebastian>  3.  'g' in the Package buffer is described as 'revert'.
Sebastian>  Is this not better described as 'refresh'?

In 0.4 I'm using "refresh" for the 'r' option.  "g" is "revert" by
analogy with dired or buffer-menu -- it undoes local changes but does
not download a new copy of the archive contents.

Tom