Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 08:09:27 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> There are specific limits to that balance. For example, if I'm not
> mistaken, RMS forbids changes that would give Emacs an advantage on
> Windows over GNU/Linux or other free operating systems.

No, he forbids changes that would give Windows an advantage beneath
Emacs over GNU/Linux or other free systems.

"I would not be using Windows if it were not for Emacs" is no outcome
he is interested in.  I can follow him on that.

I also find it disconcerting if programmers enjoying the benefits of
free software don't bother helping anybody else reaping the benefits
of benefitting from their adaptations.  It always has been one goal of
free software to be available to as many people as possible, and the
"I cater for myself, let everybody else cater for themselves" stance
is not particularly helpful when 90% of potential users are actually
using non-free systems.

At least I don't care for a "Emacs - best used on Windows" situation.