Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 13:18:57 +0200

Am 05.05.2007 um 02:58 schrieb David Kastrup:

Well, I had the doubtful pleasure of getting to try showing someone on
a conference how to work with it.  What a piece of crock.  C-x 3 and
your window splits vertically, showing the same buffer in both
windows.  So far, so good.  C-x b and a separate frame opens.  C-x 4 b
and another frame opens.  It is impossible to actually switch buffers
in one of the vertically aligned windows: instead new frames open
every time.

After a while, I give up on it and tell the person to get and install
Carbonemacs which is supposed to be less "Maclike", a euphemism for
"braindead" that more likely than not is unjust to Apple.

Aquamacs Emacs seems indeed to be stuck in the farthest end of a dead- end street: recently it stopped working completely when my ~/.emacs file (for versions 20...23, running with or without windows) is present (of course it has its own preferences files hidden here and there and elsewhere). It just loops endlessly (but *I* don't let it that long!). Maybe this lack of backward compatibility is its particular Mac likeliness. And this might be in the diagonally away corner of Apple's HID (Human Interface Definition guide line). (At least there was an option to make it create new frames only when its user wishes this.)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who cannot.