Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: Don't break words at end of line in text mode
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 21:43:04 -0400

Matthew Flaschen (matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu) wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to stop emacs from displaying
> end-of-line words broken between lines; I'd like the last word to
> move to the next line. I thought text mode might do this, but
> apparently not. Is there an option for this?

Try turning on auto-fill-mode (M-x auto-fill-mode), if it's not
already on. If it doesn't automagically wrap your lines where you'd
like them wrapped, hit C-u (column number you'd like 'em wrapped
at) C-x f, which will set the fill-column to the desired number. If
you customize the variable fill-column, I think it will set it for
all buffers you can open now and in the future.

If the above is the desired behavior, try adding this to your
.emacs file:

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

and then evaluate it by placing the cursor at the end of the line
and hitting C-e to load it for this session (I'm sorry if you
already know this, but I figure it's better to be thorough the
first time around just in case). Next time you start emacs, it'll
be automatically evaluated; its effect is to turn on auto-fill-mode
whenever you enter text mode.

I hope that's helpful!

Amy