Re: Is there any good website for emacs newbie?

From: don provan
Subject: Re: Is there any good website for emacs newbie?
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 09:59:35 -0700

SimpleCode <DragonXLong@gmail.com> writes:

> I am a emacs newbie but I like it.

I hope I'm not repeating something someone already said that I missed,
but for a newbie learning to negotiate the emacs keyboard commands,
the Emacs Reference card cannot be beat:

   http://refcards.com/docs/gildeas/gnu-emacs/emacs-refcard-a4.pdf

Just print it out, fold it up, and keep it next to your keyboard.
In addition to making it easy to look up and learn all the key
strokes, it's a physical reminder of The One True Binding, thus
discouraging you from rebinding kill-line to ^d because you think
"delete line" makes more sense.

(Of course, you are free to rebind all the keys if you want to deal
with your own bindings, but most new emacs users that live with the
standard bindings quickly find that the defaults make as much and
typically more sense than any binding they would have come up with
themselves.)

I think a lot of the other posts were talking about elisp programming,
which, of course, is also important, but I wanted to cover simple
program operation for newbies that are still more worried about using
emacs than in customizing it.

-don provan