Re: C-u C-space

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: C-u C-space
Date: 09 May 2007 23:11:39 GMT

On 2007-05-09, A Soare <alinsoar@voila.fr> wrote:
> Now I am trying to find out what command is associated with C-u
> C-space. I do
>
> C-h k C-u .
>
> It appears <<C-u runs the command universal-argument>> . I did not
> arrive to press C-space.
>
> Is it a bug? Or I used wrong describe-key ?

No, you used it right, and it's not a bug. C-u is the universal
argument command. You need to find out what happens when the universal
argument is given to C-space:

C-h k C-space

C-SPC runs the command set-mark-command
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(set-mark-command ARG)

Set mark at where point is, or jump to mark.
With no prefix argument, set mark, push old mark position on local mark
ring, and push mark on global mark ring.
With argument, jump to mark, and pop a new position for mark off the ring
(does not affect global mark ring).

The last line tells you what C-SPC does 'with argument', which means
when you prefix it with C-u.

HTH,

Tyler