Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

From: Martin Thompson
Subject: Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:07:57 +0100

Andy <jonesandy@comcast.net> writes:

> I use xemacs with cua mode and it handles most of the windows
> shortcuts (including C-c, C-x and C-v). I had to set another couple of
> options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.
> I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
> code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
> additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!

Hi Andy,

Does C-s, M-y do what you want?

This calls up a search and pastes your previous copy into it.  I have
C-s bound to isearch-forward, which may be non-default.  C-s might be
a normal (non-incremental) search, in which case, C-s, C-y might do
the trick?

Alternatively, "M-x occur" is useful, it opens another window listing
which lines a particular phrase (well, regexp) occurs in.  If you
like it, bind a key for that too :-)

I also have a key bound to mark and copy the word/signalname/etc that
is under the cursor, all in one go. which is quite handy for these
sorts of things...

Cheers,
Martin

--