Re: editing binary (hexa) data

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: editing binary (hexa) data
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:27:51 +0200

Am 17.05.2007 um 19:24 schrieb David Kastrup:

You mean

        M-x replace-regexp RET . RET \,(string-to-char \1)  RET

No, I meant that the text is first written in ASCII as "text" and then converted to ASCII values separated by spaces, i.e. the numbers and spaces we've seen.

(returns Emacs' internal coding, not unicode or latin-1).

So it is not converting "ASCII" characters to their values?

or such and back with

        M-x replace-regexp RET \([1-9][0-9]\)  RET \,(string (+ ?a \1)) RET

        M-x replace-regexp RET [0-9]+  RET \,(string (+ ?a \#&)) RET

But why ?a?  Weird.

You're right: this is nonsense! The numbers already *are* the ASCII values (and not the first, second, third ... letter, and the smallest letter is, of course, capital A!), so it's not necessary to add the smallest letter's ASCII value to the supposed ordinal. And two digits are not enough for all ASCII characters, since d already has 100 in decimal!

Why are you using ``\#&´´? Isn't \# meaning the back-reference?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five.