Re: VC commands - a little ambiguous to me ??

From: William Case
Subject: Re: VC commands - a little ambiguous to me ??
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 20:01:41 -0400

Thank you Tassilo;

But ...
On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 21:55 +0200, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> writes:
>
> Hi William,
>
> > Now I want to do the equivalent of:
> > svn add (a new directory and sub-directrory)
> > svn add (a file)
>
> ,----[ C-h f vc-register RET ]
> | vc-register is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `vc.el'.
> | It is bound to C-x v i, <menu-bar> <tools> <vc> <vc-register>.
> | (vc-register &optional SET-VERSION COMMENT)
> |
> | Register the current file into a version control system.  With prefix
> | argument SET-VERSION, allow user to specify initial version level.  If
> | COMMENT is present, use that as an initial comment.
> |
> | The version control system to use is found by cycling through the list
> | `vc-handled-backends'.  The first backend in that list which declares
> | itself responsible for the file (usually because other files in that
> | directory are already registered under that backend) will be used to
> | register the file.  If no backend declares itself responsible, the
> | first backend that could register the file is used.
> `----

I want to create and add a new empty directory.  When I M-x
make-directory 'ProgramOlympics' and run vc-rename-file, I get
"svn: 'ProgramOlympics' is not a working copy
svn: Can't open file 'ProgramOlympics/.svn/entries': No such file or
directory"

I have also tried to make-directory through C-x v d .. v t, that doesn't
help either.

Alternatively, I can not figure out how to add a new empty directory to
the working copy.  I get the warning "'ProgramOlympics' is a directory;
use file name";(paraphrase).  I need two; an empty directory and
sub-directory added. The empty directory will have some existing svn/VC
files moved to it.  The sub-directory will have some files moved to it
as well, but in the indefinite near future.

> > svn move (a different file)
>
> ,----[ C-h f vc-rename-file RET ]
> | vc-rename-file is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `vc.el'.
> | It is bound to <menu-bar> <tools> <vc> <vc-rename-file>.
> | (vc-rename-file OLD NEW)
> |
> | Rename file OLD to NEW, and rename its master file likewise.
> `----

I can get the job done using svn in a terminal (or on the command line I
suppose), but I had hoped to do it all without leaving VC emacs.
--
Regards Bill