Re: Auto-completion and code browsing

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Auto-completion and code browsing
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 14:54:49 +1000

Bo Yang <struggleyb@gmail.com> writes:

> Subject: Auto-completion and code browsing
>
> Hi,
>    I am intending to use Emacs as my default editor
> in this summer's coding. After struggling for two
> days to configure it, I am very disappoint now.
>    I make the auto-completion work, but it works very
> fooly. Its completion results are stupid. As to the
> code browsing module, it even can't jump to the definition
> of the funtion I am visiting.
>    How disappointing this is! Is there any better way to make
> Emacs work more excellent in the this two area?

I would say yes, but you give no details that I can use to even guess at

a) in what ways do you find the completions 'stupid'
b) how you would expect completion to work
c) what code browsing module you are using
d) what version of emacs your running
e) what sort of development/language are you planning to work with
f) what you have tried so far

Emacs is very powerful, but with this power comes complexity. Therefore, it is
essential for you to provide specific information if you hope to get help. As
emacs is so flexible and used by such a wide variety of users, its not easy to
have a 'default' configuration that satisfies everyone. It can take some time
to both understand and configure emacs to meet an individual's specific
requirements. some cannot bother to do this and would prefer to just use
something like eclipse and adapt their mode of working to fit best with their
tools. Emacs is possibly best addressed from a different direction - find out
how it works by default, read about the various features available and then
work out which ones best suit the way you like to work. Once you get to this
point, start customizing things to fit even more precisely with your preferred
way of working.

Unlike many other editors which require you to adapt to their view of the
world, emacs offers the ability to adapt the editor to your view of the world.
This isn't for everyone and it sometimes means it will take longer to get up to
speed, but I think in the long term, its more beneficial.

Some things you may find useful -

 - tags
 - imenu
 - speedbar, semantic and the cedet tools
 - ecb and ede modes
 - abbrev mode
 - dynamic abbrevs
 - tempo and skeleton modes
 - jdee (for java)

also, check out the emacs wiki, which as some good pointers and tips on add-on
packages or configuration options etc. See http://www.emacswiki.org

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au