No TeX-master file recognized in CVS Emacs [was: reftex-citation doesn't

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: No TeX-master file recognized in CVS Emacs [was: reftex-citation doesn't ask for pages]
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 21:20:47 +0200

Hi

Sorry for my late reply. I had no email for some time. From my new
subject header you can guess what I did in the meantime.

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 01:34:22PM +0200, Seweryn Kokot wrote:

> Another possibility is to get the weekly snapshot, see
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCvsAndDebian
> for details. The mainainter is the same but now because of license
> problem, he builds emacs-snapshot packages out of debian.

That's what I did yesterday. Although I have been extremely silly and
spoiled my system by doing really stupid things when replacing
Emacs 21 by CVS, I have succeeded at last so that I'm running the CVS
snapshot under a freshly installed Etch now.

Now, I have a strage problem. When I try to run Latex via C-c C-c from
a buffer with an included document I get an "undefined control
sequence 1.1. \chapter" message from Latex.

Its seems that Emacs doesn't know about the master file and tries to
run latex on the document shown in the buffer (therefore latex is
missing the \begin{document}). I have no idea what the problem is. Was
there a change in the CVS version that escaped my attention? Do I have
to inform Emacs about the TeX-master in a different way now?  However,
the file is parsed, because flyspell is on due to the "%%% mode:
flyspell" line at the end. Only the line "%%% TeX-master: foo" seems
to have no effect. The file worked before with Emacs 21.

Can this be a problem because I use the older auctex package of the
Debian repository?

Thanks for help,
Sven