Re: emacs idiom for sudo

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: emacs idiom for sudo
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:18:44 +1000

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:

>>> What about executing some elisp code as root (obviously including a
>>> password prompt, not just executing it without any question)? Or is
>>> it necessary to just start a whole new Emacs? I didn't see anything
>>> about this in the tramp manual, but I might not be looking hard
>>> enough.
>>>

>> Thats going to be considerably harder to do. The tramp method for editing
>> files
>> works well because all your really doing is wrapping  find-file and save-file
>> inside scp/ssh and hiding all the gory/boring details under elisp. However,
>> executing a command as another user from within emacs is a bit more
>> difficult,
>> depending on the command you want to run.
>
> <advertising>
> Tramp 2.1 (NOT part of Emacs 22.1) provides an implementation for
> call-process and start-process, which let's the corresponding processes
> run on the remote host when default-directory points to such. It is
> experimental code, but it does a good job for me also in the sudo case
> (no wonder, I did implement it :-)
>
> It also cooperates with compile.el, grep.el, gdb.el, eshell.el - just to
> mention the major packages I apply myself.
> </advertising>

Thats very interesting - I'll look forward to it reaching stable status. I
suspect this will be a very handy feature when building code on a remote system
- allowing you to use tramp rather than having to run a remote emacs to get the
additional integration from modes that support compilation etc. In fact, I wish
I had it today (working from home and missing my normally well integrated
environment). I know that some modes support remote compilation, but I've never
managed to get them to work in a reliable way or without sacrificing some of
the integration of my emacs environment.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au