Re: Temporarily turning message logging off

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Temporarily turning message logging off
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 19:14:29 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org>
>> Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:03:41 +0900

>> > What do I have to do to turn message logging off?
>>
>> It seems that `write-region', which is a built-in function,
>> issues such messages.  How about this?
>>
>> ;; off
>> (fset 'write-region-old (symbol-function 'write-region))
>> (fset 'write-region
>>       (lambda (start end filename &optional append visit &rest args)
>>      (apply 'write-region-old start end filename append 'silent args)))
>>
>> ;; on
>> (fset 'write-region (symbol-function 'write-region-old))
>
> Isn't it easier and less invasive to temporarily bind message-log-max
> to nil?

I wondering why the OP wants to do this? I just ignore the messages buffer
unless I have a problem, in which case I probbly need the info in there.

I'm wondering if perhaps the OP wants to do this for the wrong reasons and
maybe some other solution would better fix whatever the issue is.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au