Debian Testing SLIME startup in GNU Emacs 22.1.50.4

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Debian Testing SLIME startup in GNU Emacs 22.1.50.4
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 09:35:04 -0400

Hi all,

So I have another weird question. Surprise, surprise.

I run the Stump Window Manager, a minimalist window manager written
in common lisp. One of the things I have it do upon starting up is
to start swank; I have slime set up to connect to this swank server
on startup if I'm in X (and therefore the WM is running), using the
command...

(if window-system
    (slime-connect "127.0.0.1" "4005"))

...to connect to the local swank server I have running. Earlier in
my .emacs, I specify that it should use SBCL (which is what stump
runs in, in my case) as the inferior-lisp-program and also run
(slime-setup). I'm using the versions of SLIME (v. 1:20061201-2)
and swank (v. 1:20061201-2) that are found in Debian Testing, but
have also tried development versions, with the same minor annoyance
(below). Note that the reason I'm asking about this here and not in
the stumpwm mailing list is that I've tried this in the console
running SBCL with swank, but without stumpwm, and still experienced
the following annoyance.

Every time I start emacs and SLIME starts, it gives me the warning
"Protocol version mismatch. Continue anyway? (y or n) ." So I hit
"y" and it continues without a hitch! I know this isn't a huge
deal, but it is somewhat annoying and is a behavior that really
doesn't benefit me at all. Does anybody know what causes this, and
if so how to fix and/or disable it? I would be much obliged for any
help you'd be willing/able to give.

Thanks,
Amy

P.S.:  To those who responded to an earlier question regarding root
       access, the reason I didn't respond and say "thanks" was
       because I didn't get to your responses until a little while
       after the thread seemed done. So thanks.

--
A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
making them see the light, but rather because its opponents