Re: compiling emacs using cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 22:52:15 +0300

> Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:47:41 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> > You seem to be trying to build a "native Windows" binary, as opposed
> > to a Cygwin binary.  Is that right?
> I am not quite sure.

If you configure by running nt/configure.bat, then you will get a
native Windows binary of Emacs.  For the Cygwin build, you need to run
the `configure' shell script in the top-level directory of the Emacs
tree.  (However, note that to use the Cygwin build you will need to
install an X server.)

> I have used MingW will reasonable success.  It produces an emacs from
> the nt version which runs on win XP but its appearance looks a bit
> shoddy, as thought it only uses 16 colours.

Where do you see that you only have 16 colors?  Are you perhaps
invoking Emacs as "emacs -nw"?  What do you see if you type "M-x
colors-display RET"?

> I presume that this is
> because I did not included any image support stuff like the link you
> mentioned does suggest.

This should only affect the tool-bar buttons, not the colors available
to Emacs for buffer text.