emacs and xterm again

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: emacs and xterm again
Date: 01 Jun 2007 05:38:44 GMT

Sorry for the double-post. I accidentally sent this to gnu.emacs,
which seems to not be active.

Hi again,

I'm still working on some problems getting Emacs to recognise arrow
keys and page{up|down} etc. I've sorted out my previous issues in the
console by getting the proper keymap installed. What I can't figure
out is how to get emacs running in xterm to recognise special keys.

The arrow keys work fine when pressed singly. When I try to modify
them, like C-left or M-left, which produces backwards-word when I'm
running emacs under X, I get instead something that emacs interprets
as ^[[1;5D or ^[[1;3D. Function keys seem to work, but pgup and pgdown
give me similar outcomes to the modified arrow keys.

Things I've checked, with help from people on this list:

$TERM = xterm

M-x global-set-key RET <pg-up> RET ...
fails because emacs interprets the page-up as a M-[ <ret> 5~

Executing:

(define-key function-key-map "\e[5~" [prior])
(define-key function-key-map "\e[6~" [next])

doesn't change the behaviour. I've checked that my xterm.el file looks
right, and recompiled it.

I've run emacs -nw -q

Nothing seems to work.

I'm running Debian Lenny with Fluxbox. Any further suggestions would
be welcome!

Thanks,

Tyler