Re: Emacs like jed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs like jed
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 06:20:42 +0300

> From: mowgli <knowledgeless@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 22:10:08 -0000
>
> My version is 21.4.1 on Debian Etch. I searched for backports but
> Emacs 22 isn't available there for Debian it seems.

Should be available shortly.

> But can you throw
> some light on how to check if my termcap supports 256 colors or not

The documentation should tell, as well as the "ncv" entry in the
terminfo database.

> and how to make it support it?

It's too complicated to have such a support in Emacs 21.3.  If you
want that, I suggest to get 22.1, where this support works out of the
box.

> BTW, what is the best feature of Emacs 22 that isn't there in Emacs
> 21?

Hard to say, it depends on what you do most frequently.  The enlarged
max size of buffers, maybe.