post.el stopped working. What to do?

From: s. keeling
Subject: post.el stopped working. What to do?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:56:48 GMT

Hi.  This is GNU Emacs 21.4.1, running in grml.org's downstream of
Debian Sid/unstable.  I lost a hard drive recently, and after
re-installing, I find post-mode (post.el 2.4 2004/07/23) no longer
works in mutt, sort of.  It does work if I "M-x post-mode" once I'm
in Emacs, but it used to be automatic.  I've tried fiddling with
mutt's invocation, from:

   set editor="emacs '%s'"

to:

   set editor="emacs -f post-mode '%s'"

to no effect.  The weird thing is it still works as it used to in
slrn.  post.el is in ~/.emacs.d/.  In my ~/.emacs (long line
automatically broken, comments removed for brevity):

   (setq load-path (append load-path (list "/home/keeling/.emacs.d")))

;; see Dave Pearson's url for the link to these (http://www.davep.org/mutt/).
(server-start)
(load "/home/keeling/.emacs.d/post")
(defadvice server-process-filter (after post-mode-message first activate)
   "If the buffer is in post mode, overwrite the server-edit
   message with a post-save-current-buffer-and-exit message."
   (if (eq major-mode 'post-mode)
       (message
        (substitute-command-keys "Type \\[describe-mode] for help composing;
\\[post-save-
current-buffer-and-exit] when done."))))
'(font-lock-verbose 1000)
(add-hook 'server-switch-hook
        (function (lambda()
                    (cond ((string-match "Post" mode-name)
                           (post-goto-body))))))

I'm a longtime _user_ of Emacs, but I'm lisp ignorant.  What can I do
to try to sort this out?  It's not like it's broken.  It works when
called with M-x, but why in slrn but not mutt?

Suggestions please?

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html