Name of the active buffer

From: hfleming
Subject: Name of the active buffer
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 11:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

Suppose I want to run, from emacs, the program "prog" with the active buffer,
"buffer", say, as argument.
Of course I can do "Meta-! prog buffer". Some editors, however, have a
default name for the active buffer. In vi, for instance, one can do ":! prog
%" . In ultraedit, the buffer is called "%f". How can we do that in emacs?

Thanks!

hfleming

"Doubt, one of the forms of intelligence..."
(J.L. Borges)