Re: Display of numbers (money) in spreadsheet of org-mode

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Display of numbers (money) in spreadsheet of org-mode
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:07:53 -0500

carsten.dominik@gmail.com writes:

> On Jun 6, 12:25 pm, Cecil Westerhof <d...@dummy.nl> wrote:
>> I discovered the spreadsheet inorg-modetoday. I like it. But I would like
>> some nicer display. I have a field that is the sum of other fields. At the
>> moment it is displayed like
>>         15391.72
>> but I would like it to be displayed like
>>         15.391,72
>> is this possible?
>>
>> And if this is possible: is it possible to use this format for the input
>> fields?
>
> I don't think so, because calc does not support this.  Org-mode is
> using
> calc for the computations, and calc is also doing the parsing and
> formatting of numbers.

Calc can format the numbers as above.
In Calc, `d g' (calc-group-digits) will turn grouping on and off (with
an optional argument to set how many digits in a group), `d ,'
(calc-group-char) will set the grouping character, and `d .'
(calc-point-char) will set the decimal point character.  So, in Calc,
`d g', `d , .', `d , .' will give the desired display.  (I don't know
how this would be done through org-mode, unless the settings are made
in the Calc init file.)  However, this doesn't change the way that
numbers can be entered, they have to be entered using periods as
decimal points.

Jay