Re: Display text property problem

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Display text property problem
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:38:13 +0200

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:50:11 +0200 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Right. Going to describe it as detailed as possible. I am doing my
> tests in ``Text´´ mode buffers.

Thanks for the detailed feedback!

> Terminal
> ========
>
> After step 3 the cursor is at line #2 column #5 (beginning of word
> test). In mode-line the position is tracked as (1,70), where it was
> before. In the echo are a ``nil´´ has appeared.
>
> After evaluating step 4 nothing changes, except: the echo area now
> contains: ``End of buffer´´.

I can only reproduce this (your last sentence), if I do `M-:
(scroll-up)' (same as pressing the NEXT (Page Down) key).  When I
instead do `M-: (scroll-up 1), I get what I reported in my OP (but I
neglected to add that, with emacs -Q -nw, after step 4 the cursor is
now at column 83 instead of 70).

> X client
> ========
>
> After step 3 the cursor is at line #2 column #5 (beginning of word
> test). In mode-line the position is tracked as (1,70), where it was
> before. In the echo are a ``nil´´ has appeared.
>
> After evaluating step 4 the first line disappears, and so do the
> spaces before the first word ``test´´ in line #2. Mode-line has not
> changed, the echo area contains a ``nil´´. When I now press up GNU
> Emacs makes a quak sound (indicating some error has occurred) and I
> see both lines complete. The cursor is in the first line first
> column. Mode-line shows (1,0).

OK, this is just what I originally described, except that I hear the
beep only if I press PageUp a second time, which is just Emacs
signalling that the invocation of scroll-up was a no-op, since the
beginning of the buffer is already visible.

> *Messages* contains:
>
>       nil
>       Auto-saving...
>       nil
>

> On Mac OS X 10.4.9, and no GTK+!

Maybe there's a difference in the terminal version under Mac OSX, if
you really did (scroll-up 1) and not (scroll-up).  Otherwise, you've
confirmed the display bug, at least under X.  So now it remains to
figure out how to fix it...

Steve Berman