Re: cropped characters on last line before minibuffer

From: Bauke Jan Douma
Subject: Re: cropped characters on last line before minibuffer
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:53:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote on 17-06-07 05:07:
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:26:17 +0200
From: Bauke Jan Douma <bjdouma@xs4all.nl>
CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

But the only thing I tell emacs with regard to its frame size is a size
in columns/characters, i.e.: integral values.

So when emacs decides to give me a half-line, this is a deviation from
my request, and I would consider that a bug.

It is not a bug, because the mode line now takes slightly more than
one line, due to its 3D appearance.  So Emacs cannot possibly give you
an integral number of lines as soon as you divide the frame into more
than one window.  In addition, the menu bar and the tool bar can take
non-integral number of text lines, and the text can use different
fonts in the same buffer (try an Info buffer, for example).  Given
these new display features, it is simply impossible to always give you
an integral number of text lines in a frame.

Ah yes.  Looked at the header-line face, and indeed it had a box around it,
which I never had, but must have accidentally crept in while I was modifying
the header line (to work with gtk) the other day.
Disabled the box, and now I've got the integral lines back.

Thanks!

bjd