Re: installing ispell by emacs on microsoft system

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: installing ispell by emacs on microsoft system
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:38:14 +0300

> Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:19:37 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
>
> So I got the source  ispell-3.3.02
> unpacked it
> had to do chmod 755 pc/makeemx.bat
> ran the .bat script which eli provided
> what I got follows. Do I need to get emx?

If you want to build with makeemx.bat, then yes.  But I doubt that you
really want that, since EMX produces DOS programs, not Windows
programs, which will limit you in several subtle ways, since
interaction between Emacs and DOS subprograms has drawbacks (for
example, only one DOS subprocess can be active at any given time).

> should I try to get djgpp?

Not recommended, for the same reason.

It's much better to get a precompiled Windows binary of Ispell.
Here's one place:

  http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/