Dump file content into a variable, how to?

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres
Subject: Dump file content into a variable, how to?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:17:28 +0200

A hopefully obvious question from a probably Lisp newbie.

I want my .emacs to dired on launch a given directory. The name of the
directory is stored into a file ~/.removable. So I need to "cat" the
file content into a variable, then maybe do a file-directory-p and
finally dired the directory.

But I don't know how to "cat" a file content into a
variable. shell-command will be no useful as I don't need the "cat"
output in the echo area nor in another buffer, I need it into a
variable.

Any ideas welcome.

Cordially, Ismael
--
Ismael Valladolid Torres  m. +34679156321
La media hostia           j. ivalladt@gmail.com

http://lamediahostia.blogspot.com/