Re: egrep error: egrep: /usr/dict/words: No such file or directory

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: egrep error: egrep: /usr/dict/words: No such file or directory
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:29:29 -0400

> Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:52:10 +0100
> From: David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>
> if I try M-x ispell-complete-word-inferior-frac I get the message which
> is the subject title of this thread
> If I do M-x ispell-change-dictionary emacs lists about 20 possible
> completions
>
> What is happening?

This feature needs a list of words, and its default location is
/usr/dict/words.

> How can I tell emacs to make ispell-complete-word-inferior-frac look in
> the same dictionaries which ispell-change-dictionary looks at?

You can't, AFAIK: ispell-complete-word needs an ASCII list of words,
not a hashed dictionary used for spell-checking.

I suggest to look on the Internet for a list of words, download it and
put it in the directory where ispell.el expects it.  One place where
you can find such a list is here:

  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jlawler/wordlist