Re: emacs goodies for python development

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: emacs goodies for python development
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 18:27:29 +1200

 > I am trying to setup emacs for python development at place of work.  I would
 > like to push for emacs culture over eclipse and so want to know what to do
 > for the python-related emacs goodies.
 >
 > I need things like completion and help. I believe there is some way of
 > customizing eldoc to give 'hover tips'.
 > Also anything else that is there -- gud support?

M-x pdb in gud.el invokes the python debugger.  Ken Mannheimer has written
pdbtrack which Python users say is better.  I've tried to scope it out in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-08/msg00930.html
but it's not been added to Emacs as there is uncertainty over original
authorship.

 > I am running debian etch and am using the python-mode package that comes
 > with debian.  emacs-wiki says there are two python modes.
 > Which this one is I am not sure.

Emacs 22.1 includes a python-mode package in a file called python.el.  I
suggest you use that one (with 22.1).