File manipulation in elisp?

From: Trastabuga
Subject: File manipulation in elisp?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:35:03 -0700

Is there an API for file management in elisp without opening files in
buffers?
What I want to do is have some special file in a directory which would
give my elisp some post-compile commands for this particular
directory. So every time I compile a project, as a post-build step I
want to look for some pre-defined file in the directory, read its
content, evaluate the content into elisp and execute it.
All I could find was insert-file-contents which is not exactly what I
need. I need something like with-open-file macro.

Thank you,
Andrew