Need some debugging advice ??

From: William Case
Subject: Need some debugging advice ??
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:49:26 -0400

Hi;

I am looking for advice on learning to use gdb, GUD and friends,
particularly for 'C'.  I have just read Info re: GUD and gdb, as well as
the RedHat gdb manual, and 'man' gdb.  My confusion is now complete.

I will work out how all this information fits together eventually.  I
don't mind doing the work or the necessary reading.

The advice I need is:

Where should I start?  My programming experience is "newish" without
being a complete newbie.  I have written several short programs in 'C'
for example; some of them textbook exercises, some of them my own.

What kind of window and frame arrangement seems to work best,
particularly for someone new?

Is there features I should make sure I include?  Is there anything I
might not have thought of.

I was thinking of starting in a raw terminal using basic gdb commands
until I had figured out how they work, then graduate to gdb/GUD.  Is
this a good idea?

Whatever else is worth throwing in ?

By the way, I am not a student; I am long past that; so its not a case
of me asking you to do my homework for me.

--
Regards Bill