Re: emacs error

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: emacs error
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 09:41:15 +0200

At Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:52:26 -0700,
rogv24@yahoo.com wrote:

> /usr/local/bin/emacs hello
> X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> shutdown
>
> I recieved this after I installed emacs.
> Thanks

I'm guessing that you:
- are ssh'ing to a remote machine
- ...with X-forwarding enabled in your ssh client
- ...but you have no X-server running on your local machine
- you then installed and started an emacs on the remote machine

You can either disable X-forwarding in your ssh client, since it makes
no sense when you don't have a local X server, or you can just start
emacs with the -nw switch to have it start up in a terminal.

Or you could install an X server - for windows there's Xming, which is
free, reasonably easy to install, and you don't need to install cygwin
with it. There are also several commercial X servers available.

I prefer to have emacs in an X window if the connection to the server
I'm working on is speedy enough: you've got more colours, so the
syntax highlighting is prettier, and you will have less problems with
the standard keybindings.

As an alternative, you can install emacs locally and make it fetch the
files you want to edit via ssh; look for the "TRAMP" manual. TRAMP is
part of the recent emacs 22 release.

HTH

Anselm