Re: accents

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: accents
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 16:33:55 +0200

"Andrés Ghigliazza" <tizone@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem with emacs and accents. Emacs works perfectly with
> accents in a text console, and in graphics mode. However, in a
> windowed console (emacs -nw), I can't write  accented letters
> (although they can be seen perfeclty). Moreover, trying to write
> accents while executing emacs in a remote host (with ssh), in a
> windowed console, does not work too, but it works perfectly in the
> remote host if executing with a text console.
>
> The same symptoms happens in two Debian Etch computers, one with GNOME
> and the other with KDE.
>
> Can anybody help me?

The first question, is what encoding does your terminal use to encode
non ASCII characters when you enter them?  (ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, KOI-8,
etc).

Then, there is the problem that the Meta key can be encoded either by
a prefix ESC, or by setting the high-bit of the ASCII code.  If you
want to transmit characters encoded in a 8-bit character code, you
need to configure your terminal (or terminal emulator) to send the
Meta key as a prefix escape, not as a 8th-bit set.

Once you've identified the encoding used by your terminal, you can
configure emacs to process it with something like:

    (setq default-terminal-coding-system 'iso-8859-1)
or:
    (setq default-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)

or whatever it is.

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.