Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: reverting some 22 behavior to how 21 was
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:17:41 -0400

> A couple of questions about some things that have changed
> for me.

> (1) In Emacs 21 I used the following .emacs lines:

> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
> (add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook 'refill-mode)

> However, in 22 it appears these functions now "toggle," and

They've always toggled AFAIK.  No change on this side.

> I receive the message (e.g.):
> Toggling flyspell-mode off; better pass an explicit argument.

What has changed is that in Emacs-22, when the toggle turns things off,
Emacs warns the user rather than doing it silently.

You could do:

(add-hook 'paragraph-indent-text-mode-hook
          (lambda () (flyspell-mode t) (refill-mode t)))

> (2) Second question is about font coloring in the mini-buffer
> line.  Some parts are now displayed in dark blue text, e.g. if
> I type M-x then that is echoed back to me in dark blue, and
> then anything I type after it is gray.  As I use a black terminal
> background the dark blue is difficult to see; in 21 the entire
> line was gray.  What option can I set to change the blue text?

You don't want to change that face, then.  Instead you want to tell Emacs
that your terminal's background is dark.  See C-h v `frame-background-mode'.

        Stefan