Re: Emacs Lisp Q: Switch Emacs Frame Between Current/Original FVWM Deskt

From: Xiao-Yong Jin
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp Q: Switch Emacs Frame Between Current/Original FVWM Desktop?
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:07:39 -0400

Edward <edward.dodge@gmail.com> writes:

> I recently realized you can send Elisp commands to an Emacs session
> (with a running server) using the following shell command:
>
> emacsclient -n -e "(iconify-or-deiconify-frame)"
>
> It's nice to be able to iconify or deiconify Emacs from the command
> line by setting the above command to an easy-to-type alias,  but I'd
> really like to do something a little more useful.  I want to bring
> Emacs to my current FVWM2 desktop and then send it back to its
> original desktop when I'm done,  something like (thisdesktop-or-
> thatdesktop-frame).  Anyone know a nice,   elegant way to accomplish
> this?  Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I understand your term `desktop' very well.
However, if you mean different DISPLAY, emacsclient is
capable to open a new frame on new display, AFAIK.
Something like this will do,

emacsclient -e "(make-frame-on-display \"$DISPLAY\")"

But if you mean the Desktop in FVWM2, you might just use the
command provided by our powerful window manager.  Bind

All ("emacs") MoveToDesk

or similar to some keys you like in FVWM2, and you can feel
it.