Re: C++ browser for overloaded methods

From: Abanowicz Tomasz
Subject: Re: C++ browser for overloaded methods
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:05:42 -0700

On 7 Cze, 15:50, Scott Frazer <frazer.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 6, 8:02 am,AbanowiczTomasz <pawlac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I'm looking for C++ code browser that can do the following.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I tried etags and ebrowse but both of them jump toHuman::show(void)
> > function.
> > ctags from vim gives the list of all show(...) functions and allows me
> > to manually choose the proper one.
> > It is much better than blindly jumping to theHuman::show(...).
>
> > Doesemacsallow more intelligent C++ browsing that solves the above
> > problem ?
> > What is the name of such a tools ?
>
> I've wanted to scratch this itch for a while, and finally did:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EtagsSelect

Great thanx for answer !!!
Sorry for bothering You about it again.

But this feature is very important form me.
I tried the following tools: etags, etags-select, oo-browser, ebrowse,
semantic, cscope.
Unfortunately none of them is able to jump to the definition of the
function without asking any questions.
I agree, It is very complex task.
Now I claim that emacs just can't do that.
Now I would be glad about showing me the list of tags to jump to and
allowing me to choose from the list the proper one by number.
Unfortunately AFAIK emacs is not able to do that as well.
This task is easily performed by VIM's ctags. It works fast and
reliable in VIM's ctags.
In emacs it just doesn't work. Even more AFAIK there is not such
functionality in emacs.

etags-select - show the suspicious message "No exact match for tag"
and furthermore does not allow choosing the tag from the list by
number. You have to go through the list of tags using the arrow keys.
It is very inconvenient when the list of tags is very long.

cscope - is very slow. It takes a few seconds what ctags from vim can
do at once. Furthermore It distingiushes definitions in .h files in a
different way than definitions in .cpp files. it means that there are
2 different command to jump to function definition depending on in
which file it is placed. It is exremely inconvinient.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that I'm wrong but it looks like that
basic and extrememly important functionality for C++ developer works
in VIM quite good and in such a emacs editor (that is realy powerful)
it almost works but in fact it does not work :(

Thank You for Your help