Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:05:17 +0900

On 24 juil. 07, at 19:05, Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 24.07.2007 um 02:17 schrieb Jean-Christophe Helary:

What is the technical issue with emacs ?

The texts are spread over hundred and more files. It's not only menu entries and menu titles, it's also necessary to translate the customisation buffers, the description of functions and variables.

This is not really a technical issue. Because there are ways to identify the strings to localize. I am more specifically asking about this.

And once the act of translation is achieved: how do you describe a problem with entry 5 of menu 3? By using the French names? By counting? What when the order is changed? What when someone decides, according to writing direction, to order the menus from right to left?

I understand what you are saying but that is exactly the case for all the other localized software packages.

GNU has developped gettext but one of the flagship applications of the GNU project is not localized at all...

Jean-Christophe Helary