Re: Emacs and several windows

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Emacs and several windows
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:25:25 +0200

+ vincent.marguerit@gmail.com:

| I use Emacs under Mac OS X and I don't know how to open several
| windows of Emacs, when I click on the Emacs icon it does not open me
| another window it put the current Emacs window to the front.

C-x 5 2 should do it.  I am not sure if that works with the emacs
that's bundled with the mac, however.  I haven't used it in ages.

And if you look at emacs help, you will discover a terminology
mismatch: What is a window from the point of view of the OS is called
a "frame" in emacs.  Each frame can be divided into smaller
rectangles, which emacs calls windows.  This unfortunate state of the
terminology came about because emacs used windows (what /emacs/ calls
windows) long before the graphical user interface was popularized.

  -- Bertrand Russell