Re: Emacs localization (Re: Why emacs have not native language menu)

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Emacs localization (Re: Why emacs have not native language menu)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:30:34 +0200

Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp> writes:

> On 25 juil. 07, at 00:11, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>
>> Some comments:
>>
>> * (interactive commands) I believe you agree with me that they
>> should not be translated. Translating them would IMO lead to
>> confusion.
>
> Sure, in the current state of affairs. But in the end, the command
> names are just arbitrary strings and sometimes have very little to do
> with English, as seems to suggest Pascal Bourguignon.
>
> I am sure if a Japanese developer created code with romaji command
> names you'd see what I mean :)

Theorically, as I'm able to take some (small) compiled program and
reverse engineer it to some meaningful source form.  But this is not
an efficient process.  That's why all my employers, in all the
countries they're located (4 so far, with 4 different languages) asked
me to write the code, the comments and documentation in English.  In
my last job, considering only programmers, we were 6 different
nationalities, with 5 different native languages.

So in my opinion, now is the worst time to involve oneself in such a
project.  When it will be completed either everybody will speak
English, or there will be AI to do the translation for us.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASERS: The entire physical universe,
including this product, may one day collapse back into an
infinitesimally small space. Should another universe subsequently
re-emerge, the existence of this product in that universe cannot be
guaranteed.