Re: Curiostiy question re: keybinding ??

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: Curiostiy question re: keybinding ??
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:51:31 +0200

William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:

> It would be hard to remember what the numbers mean with out some
> comments or a lot of memorization.

Don't bother with it.  Use describe-key and describe-function to look up
keys, if you dynamically bind the keys.  If you define them by hand (or
by text rather), use whatever you can read best.

> Is the first line binding style going out of use (replaced by the kbd
> keyword) or coming in?  What would be the ^C (Ctrl) equivalent for Meta
> -- ^M; and, Super -- ^s; and, Shift -- ^,?  What about Fx keys and
> others?

Actually I don't think it ever was in style. The most common way I
probably is "\C-c\M-c\S-e"\, etc.  Not everything can be expressed like
that, though.  Using kbd is more powerful, but only the numerical form
is complete, as some special keys (say multimedia keys...) haven't been
assigned a name.

Check out http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/emacs-keys.html as well.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher